Wednesday 1 August 2007

Pidgin Version of Psalm 23


This poem is easily more famous than me or my book. The Pidgin version of Psalm 23. Written and published on the internet at about 2000 and published in my book- My Time in 2005.

SAM TWENTI TIRI

The Lord is mai shepherd
I dey kampke
He make mi sidon for where betta dey flow
Come put me next to stream wey make mai bodi
Thermacool
He panel beat mai soul come spray am white,
Come dey lead me dey go ni, through express road of righteousness for His name’s sake
Walahi!, if I waka pass where arm robber, 419
And juju pipo borku come even join okada reach valley of the shadow of death sef, mai bodi dey inside cloth. Your rod and staff nko?
Na so-so comfort dem dey comfort me for belle
You don prepare Banga and starch make I chop
All mai enemies dey look anyaya
You anoint me for head wit oil
Mai cup na Ogunpa wey burst im banks
True true, betta life and mercy go gum mai back
Till I quench. And man go tanda for God house sotey sotey; from Lai lai to lai lai.
GOD ALMIGHTI, NA YOU BICO.

Dr Wilson Orhiunu
My Time. 2005

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I tasted banga and soup for the first time at my friend ufuoma's wedding sometime ago. It wasnt that bad.

Babawilly said...

Banga and dry fish steaming in a small clay pot....

Food food food food is ready.

Unknown said...

lol
u are funny...

laspapi said...

you wrote that poem originally?

It's very good. But then, what am I saying? You're a very good writer.

ps. Didn't even know you had a book.

Babawilly said...

Laspapi ,Yes o. I wrote it. A lot of people use it without giving credit that's why I tend to say that piece of writing is more famous than Babawilly (who is indeed more famous than Dr Wilson Orhiunu), but that is all about to change.
Thanks for the compliment

Mr.Fineboy said...

Baba Willy, i dey come now nooow! I cracked up at ur comment! I ike this your blog o, u be big man sef! LOL.