Sunday 29 July 2007

Stephanie Okereke/ Kene Mpkaru





While going through old pictures on my lap top, I stumbled on this one taken on the 23rd of September 2006 at the Lee Valley Odeon Cinema, London. This picture was actually the high light of the day.
I had been given the opportunity to do a comedy set prior to the screening of a movie titled The Successor starring Stephanie Okereke and Olu Jacobs amongst others. The film producer was Kene Mpkaru of Film Africa.
That day saw the worst traffic ever. I almost cried in the car. Blackwell tunnel was solid, turning the two hour drive from Birmingham to London into a 5 and a half hour ordeal.
I had a few frantic calls on my mobile phone, ‘where are you?’
I arrived towards the end of the movie and still managed to perform an abridged version of my set when the film finished. This was about 1.45am! I had to rush though as people were tired.
I think my version of sweet mother did alright. Its called BITTER FADA

Bitter Fada
I no go forget you
For di Bulala
Wey you bulala me for my nyarsh o!
When I tief fish
My Fada go punish me
E go say my pickin
Make you no tief ye ye
Stop stop
Stop stop
Stop stop
Make you no tief again o!
When I tief milk
My Fada go scold me
He go lie me well well for bed o
E serve me cane, say make I chop
Chop, chop , my pickin o!
When I dey naughty
My Fada go run up and down
He go find me guud cane wey go blast my nyarsh o!
Bitter Fada, I no go forget the cane wey I suffer for you hand oh, o!
When I fail test
My Fada go cry, cry, cry
E go say instead make I disgrace am, make I die o
E go beg God
God help me
God help me cane, my pickin o!
If I no cry
My Fada no go stop
If I no weep
My Fada no go chop
E no dey tire o
Bitter Fada, I no go forget the bulala wey you blast my nyarsh o o!
RAP
You fit get anoda Gism
You fit get anoda sim
But you fit get anoda Fada?
Fada! No.
And if I forget you, I forget my life and the air that I breathe.
And then unto you all men, forget not your Fada
For if you forget your Fada, you’ve lost your life.

Some Lyrics lifted from ‘Sweet mother’ - Prince Nico Mbarga and the Rocafil Jazz Band - 1976

5 comments:

Ms. Catwalq said...

awwwwww
no shaking
so u r a comedian?

Babawilly said...

I guess so.

Unknown said...

NICE...

Unknown said...

did u sing? ....
na wa oooo

Babawilly said...

Yes o! But my singing voice sef is a laugh.